Friday, January 06, 2006

tartanpodcast LIVE! What am I doing?!

A while ago it was suggested that a live event featuring some of the best Scottish podsafe bands would be fun. Great idea. But now that I'm actually going ahead with it (see the post on tartanpodcast.com) I wondering what on earth I'm getting myself into.

Since I started the podcast I've met Roz and Magnus of Miss the Occupier, Al Bishop of Hotrod Cadets, Steven and Jolene of Finniston and the Taylor brothers of Dropkick. While I've been invited to see many of the bands I've played perform live, I've only actually seen Miss the Occupier, Finniston and Dropkick. The reason being is I don't like having to go out and meet people.

It's all about comfort zones; podcasting from my tiny wee studio is comfortable. I record a couple of shows per sitting, update show notes, mess about with the website, fire off a few emails. All within my abilities. No sweat. Not a stretch, etc etc. I'm in my comfort zone. Doing the tartanpodcast is what I do. Going out and meeting bands is not.

Now, I'm not overly shy or lacking in confidence. The existance of the tartanpodcast is evidence of that, I suppose. So it's not some fear of meeting new people and having to shake their hand and strike up a conversation.

I just don't like having to leave my house.

So, when a band kindly emails me to say they're performing at such and such at this or that time, I usually reply to say that I'd love to be there, but won't be able to make it.

I just don't like having to leave my house.

So what on earth am I doing organising something like tartanpodcast LIVE!?? 7 bands? All on stage one after the other? MCd by me?

That's a lot of leaving the house.

Add to it the logistics; booking the venue, organising the tickets, the sound, the bar, making sure everyone has everything they need. And then on the day making sure everything runs smoothly and enjoyable for the bands, and more importantly, the people who've paid good money (and travelled a distance) to hear their favourite Scottish indie band perform.

It's a nightmare.

Anyway, subscribe to the RSS feed of tartanblog to keep up to date with the developments as we head towards the 24th June 2006 and tartanpodcast LIVE!

Anyone know a good project manager?

5 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I manage projects for a living, but doing one internationally isn't in my resume. *laugh*

Dude, roll with it. Your going to do an awesome job. I'm sure of that.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Grant - Three From Leith said...

I don't envy you in the slightest ;-) Have the bands not got any friends who're into event management who could help out ?

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Adrian Pegg said...

Mark,

I am delighted to do what I can to help from down here in the smoke. Certainly if you need any advice, or help with the budget, schedule or running order I might be able to assist.

Give me a shout any time.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Kari said...

I sympathize about not wanting to leave the house! After 10 years living downtown in a big city, through my 20s and early 30s which is certainly a more social time, now that I'm settled in the big old house in the woods I'm reverting to my natural hermit state. I've got high speed internet and my hubbie LIKES to go out and shop, so why should I leave???

Don't worry, I can use that internet connection to see how social interaction beyond e-mail and chat is a good thing. Sometimes. Briefly. On my terms, of course.

I know the gig will be great, and I hope I'm able to attend. When I do leave the house, I seem to go a long way!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark, I got permission from the wife to spend a long weekend in Glasgow and attend this thing, but she's after more details ... specifically, will it be all-day and is it outdoors? We holiday in the North of Scotland most years in early June, and we've noticed the odd shower or two so we were just wondering ..!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home